Pesto can save you so much time in the kitchen! It’s so easy to prepare it at home and this vegan version with fresh lovage is absolutely delish! This is a perfect lunch idea when you’re in a rush but still want to serve a healthy meal to your family.
Lovage smells like celery and comes from the same family. It’s really easy to grow it and it should last several years. It helps digesting and may help with increasing appetite. Thanks to quercetin, which inhibits histamine release, lovage helps fighting allergy symptoms like skin irritation. Traditional medicine uses dried lovage leaves and thyme tea to loosen and expel phlegm from the lungs. However, pregnant and breastfeeding moms shouldn’t use it for some reason [source]. I’m breastfeeding for over 2,5 years and I think it’s more for those who breastfeed an infant. I haven’t noticed any side effects and enjoyed this pesto two days in a row.
Pumpkin seeds are known to be a great source of zinc, magnesium and Omega-3. Dr Paul Pitchford recommends toasting them lightly before eating.
Nutritional yeast is such an amazing source of vitamins (17!) and minerals (over 14 key minerals!). It’s packed with nutrition: especially a full spectrum of B vitamins, phosphorous, selenium, zinc and folic acid but also easy to digest protein. Contrary to baker’s yeast, nutritional yeast is deactivated and beneficial to our health! They add cheesy, nutty flavor to a dish and is best known to substitute Parmesan in pesto 😉
What age? 12 months +
- • bunch of lovage (a handful of chopped leaves)
- • 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- • 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- • 1 sun-dried tomato
- • 3 tablespoons good quality oil*/olive oil
- • pinch of salt
- • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar - can be omitted
- 1. Wash the lovage and remove leaves from stems (don't throw them away - add to your soup). Chop the leaves.
- 2. Heat a heavy-bottomed, dry skillet over medium heat, add pumpkin seeds and stirr constantly to prevent burning. Don't let them brown! I only toast them for 2minutes.
- 3. Chop the sun dried tomatoe.
- 4. Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend on lowest setting until well combined. Then blend on high until smooth. Store in a fridge for up to 5 days. Serve with hot pasta, on a toast or on a savoury pancake.
- *I used 2 tablespoons of ghee (melted) and 1 tablespoon of almond oil and it hardened in the fridge due to ghee. Even though it got hard I had no problems incorporating it into a hot pasta.