Turkey meatballs with shredded cabbage are our favourite dinner. They aren’t only yummy but hide a very healthy vegetable inside – cabbage. They are not really paleo because I use rice to “glue” them together. They are best stewed in tomato sauce.
What age? 6m+
- • ½ small white cabbage, shredded+ 1 tsp salt
- • ½ kg minced turkey
- • 1 cup cooked white rice (1/2 cup raw)
- • 2 small onions
- • 2 eggs
- • seasoning: 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/3 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1 heaped tsp dill
- • buckwheat flour for coating
- • 3 tablespoons ghee (for frying)
- • sauce: 2/3 bottle of tomato passata + 1/2 cup water, 1 clove of garlic, 3 bay leaves, parsley (as pictured)
- 1. Cook rice and let cool down.
- 2. Shred cabbage finely in a tall bowl and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Use your hands to mix. Now "punch" cabbage with your fist 😉 to press it down tightly. Cabbage has to release some liquid. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Grate onions.
- 4. Squeeze the juice out of cabbage: Take a handful at a time and squeeze out the water over the sink. Place squeezed cabbage in a clean bowl.
- 5. Beat eggs in a large tall bowl. Add spices and onions and mix with a fork/spoon. Add meat and stir with a fork again. Add the rice and cabbage and mix by hand.
- 6. Roll the mixture into approx.30 balls. Toss each ball in some flour. Fry on a large pan over medium heat [flaten the balls on the pan]. Don't let them brown! We want to stew them in a sauce and frying is only to ensure they don't fall apart.
- 7. Place the chops on the bottom of a large pot. Pour the sauce and simmer under a lid for about 45 minutes - until the cabbage is completely soft.
- Serve with veggies, rice/buckwheat/potatoes.