Tomato soup made from scratch is just a perfect comfort food. It’s easy to make and my son’s absolute no 1. I used vegetable stock but you can use broth.
What age? 6m+
Prepare something a baby can dip or serve in a cup for smaller babies.
- • 2 tablespoons ghee/olive oil
- • 1-2 cloves garlic
- • 1.5 - 2 kg of ripe tomatoes
- • 1.5 - 2 cup vegetable stock or broth
- • 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- • fresh basil - a handful of leaves
- 1. Wash your tomatoes and remove any stems that are still attached. Slice a shallow X into the bottom of the tomato (opposite the stem side). Place in a large bowl and pour boiling water. Let them sit for a minute or two and start removing the skins. Then quarter tomatoes and remove the hard center.
- 2. Heat the ghee/olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add pressed garlic and tomato quarters. Press the tomatoes down by using a potato masher - they'll cook quicker . Cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and purée with an immersion blender. Now add vegetable stock/broth and apple cider and cook for 10-15 minutes. Chop basil finely and add to pot. Taste to see if you need more seasoning. It was perfect for us!
- Serve with rice/pasta/profiteroles - recipe on the blog. Enjoy!