The secret to crispy zuchhini fries is the egg. Add paleo coating and you have a winner! I serve them with home made ketchup or dips based on avocado but greek yoghurt with some mayo and garlic would be nice too!
What age? The recipe contains an egg which gives fries the crispiness.
- • 1 medium zucchini
- • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil / ghee or olive oil
- • 1 egg
- • 4 tablespoons homemade coconut flour *
- • 4 tablespoons flax meal
- • 1 heaped teaspoon sweet paprika
- • 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 140C. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil etc
- 2. If zucchini skin is hard, peel it. Cut zucchini in half widthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise. Then cut each of those halves into fourths. Fries that are too big can get soggy. Pat zucchini sticks with hand towel to get rid of water.
- 3. Stir coconut flour, flax meal and spices together on a large plate. Whisk an egg in a soup plate.
- 4. Dip zucchini into beaten egg, then coat with dry mixture.
- 5. Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet and bake for approx 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. [I bake at a low temperature so the oil in flax meal doesn't transform into trans fat].
- Serve hot (warm for babies) with a dip, e.g. home-made ketchup, basil avocado dip or hummus.