Finio loves his morning porridge and we usually make it using home-made coconut milk. Not a long ago he got a little obsessed with porridge…. He asked for it for lunch, dessert, dinner and supper! At first I was proud and happy he’s making good choices but then it got a little scary. I came up with an idea to hid some veggie goodness in it and cooked oats in vegetable stock. It turned out yummy! We got back to normal after a month or so and now it’s back to morning porridge but he’s happy to eat pancakes or scrambled eggs or even veggie soup for breakfast too. Phew!
What age? For a baby who already had some other food. I’d use gluten-free oats for a baby under 12 months.
- • 1/2 cup rolled oats (preferably gluten - free)
- • 1 cup vegetable stock (recipe is on the blog)
- • 2 teaspoons coconut oil/ghee/butter
- • handful of raisins
- • 1 teaspoon honey/maple syrup/date syrup/banana
- • toppings: avocado & beet chocolate spread (recipe on the blog), favourite fruit, shredded coconut, dried fruit
- 1. Place oats in the pot (better yet - let your child do it!), add raisins and pour the stock. Add ghee and cook on medium heat for few minutes. Then simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Check the pot often so it doesn't burn! Gluten free oats need less time to cook.
- 2. Add chosen sweetener and stir. Place in bowls and add chosen toppings or serve without any toppings 😉